Sunday, March 15, 2015

His Eye is on the Sparrow...

   So, I'm new to blogging but I think this will be a great way to keep you all informed of my journey. I found out a few weeks ago that I have rectal cancer. I'll share some minor details with you as to what lead up to this diagnosis. If you don't want the details just feel free to skip the next paragraph.
    About 3-4 months ago I started having a lot of diarrhea and noticing some blood and mucous in my stool. I also had some pain that felt like a really bad hemorrhoid and I was very tired. This lead to me having a colonoscopy done. That is when they found the tumor. I'm sorry for the details but many of you have asked what my symptoms were. Maybe it is the nurse in me that does not mind sharing. I'm so thankful for a husband who made me get to the bottom of it ( no pun intended) and that they found the problem.
    The past two weeks have been full of scans, Dr. appts and waiting for test results. Needless to say it has been a very emotional two weeks. In the midst of it all God has met me and calmed my fears. I know that is because of all your prayers.
  I have a wonderful husband, a caring family and a very dear friend who have all rearranged their schedules to be by my side these past 2 weeks.
  My diagnosis is stage 3 rectal cancer. There are a few lymph nodes that also showed up on the PET scan in the same area as the tumor. The plan of treatment is oral chemo and radiation together. This means a trip to the health campus cancer center Mon- Fri for 6 weeks. I will probably be starting treatments in the next week or so.
  After that, they will do surgery to remove the mass which should be much smaller at that point. Then I will get 4 more months of Chemo by IV.  That is a lot to think about right now but we are just remembering to take one day at a time. God gives each of us what exactly we need for THIS day and we are not to worry about tomorrow!
  God has ministered many precious things to my heart through songs and Bible verses these past weeks and I've been journaling them to remind myself of His faithfulness on the days when I feel yucky.
  There is an old hymn called "His Eye is on the Sparrow" that the Newsboys recently put on an album. I heard this song on the radio one day when I was waiting to hear my test results. I felt like God spoke to my heart clearly that He is watching over me.  How comforting these words are to me!
Here are the lyrics:
Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. 

I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


What is the price of two sparrows- one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
 Matthew 11:29-31


I'm believing that God is going to do great things in my life and the lives of my family on this journey. We are praying and believing for complete healing from cancer. By His grace and strength I will not despair but be filled with joy...even in suffering. You can agree in prayer with us for all this and much more!
 Blessings!
Marcia
























11 comments:

  1. as I read this with tears Marsha I hear ya and all the hope and peace that comes with resting in our savior that knows even the number of hair on our heads .He loves you .we are keeping you and Duane and the kids in our prayers .will be lifting you up in prayer each and every day . we love you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your family! Believing and trusting for a full healing! Praising God with you that His eye is on the sparrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Beautiful. So true, are His words for you, Marcia. I will be praying healing and power for YOU and your ENTIRE big beautiful family as you go through this next chapter of your life.You shall overcome. Victory in Jesus is Yours. Life brings challenges and trials but He is perfecting those things that concern you.His eye is on the sparrow and we ALL KNOW HE IS WATCHING OVER YOU! I will lovingly keep you all in my prayers daily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to be praying alongside all the others who will be lifting you to the Father. God bless and keep you, Marcia!

    -- Julie Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sad as I read this, but know you are in God's hands. One of the verses I held onto as I was going though breast cancer was Philippines 4:6 " Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.
    We will be praying for you and your family.
    Thanks for sharing. May God continue to bless and heal you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! That is a great verse! It is always encouraging to hear from others who also faced cancer.
      Thanks for your prayers!

      Delete
  6. I will be keeping you in prayer and believe in your total healing! Thank you for sharing your heart! I love your lyrics, He is watching over you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are praying in agreement for healing over you! May the the Lord continue to encourage you and give you the strength you need for each day. Thanking God for your testimony! I love that you have been touched by song. Sienna made a comment about hearing that song a lot recently and I told her I'm sure the Lord is intending that song to minister to someone! I would love to help out with teaching!

      Delete
  7. Your mother shared your story with me, Marcia. And I share this song with you for the journey, and God's faithfulness to you.
    You are not alone, He has gone before you and He will never leave you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSnmoiYx2Z8

    ReplyDelete
  8. prayers for you as you get your treatments each day .. and for Duane and kiddos too as they journey with you .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave words of encouragement and prayers here: